How are you reducing risks associated with over-reliance on single vendors?

kush.chawla
kush.chawla Member Posts: 1 Novice
edited July 25 in General Community

Were you or your company specifically affected by the recent CrowdStrike and Microsoft incident? What steps is your company taking to reduce risks associated with over-reliance on single vendors?

This recent incident got me thinking about how even the biggest companies in the world still heavily depend on third parties to keep everything afloat. What are your thoughts on these recent events?

Tagged:

Comments

• Joses
    Joses Member Posts: 68 admin

I'm curious to know what @Agierczak @richard.moormann @dlcurr71 @billtheissen think about this!

What steps have your companies taken to reduce any risks based on over reliance? Did the recent outage cause any major changes or was it unnoticed by your companies?

• billtheissen
    billtheissen Member Posts: 1 Novice

We definitely had customers impacted by the CrowdStrike outage. Most of them were able to recover over the weekend. We have not seen pending CrowdStrike deals be impacted yet. For those companies that were looking to get off CrowdStrike onto something else, we are seeing this used as another justification to do so.

As for over reliance or single point of failure, the conversation we are having with larger customers that have the concern is a dual endpoint approach. Previously, the idea of a single platform and console was highly prioritized for obvious reasons. To reduce that single point of failure, companies can diversify in their products. I will be interested to see if buyers change their stance on the vertical integration or "platform play" that has been the trend for the last several years. My gut tells me, that this concern will fade rather quickly though.

• richard.moormann
    richard.moormann Member Posts: 19

Similar to @billtheissen we had numerous customers impacted. Most were up in a day or two with the support of our SOC team. The ecosystem set this up for failure, IMHO.